Disappointment abounds

Well, I got brave and messaged Daniel Kordek on DeviantArt about the lack of a Prince Charming sketch to match the Hook, Huntsman, Mad Hatter and Pinocchio. It just kills me that there isn't a Charming because he is my absolute favorite (with Hook pulling a close second). His answer was that he didn't like Snow and Charming so there is no Charming drawing (which is a bit ironic considering that the Regina portrait that Tilton Crafts has charted is a cutout of a picture with Regina and Snow).

Damn. Seriously, just damn. I guess I won't be stitching the others after all because there isn't a complete set. I'm either going to have to chart my own picture of Charming (preferably one with Hook and Charming or maybe Snow and Charming) or hope that someone somewhere lends their Charming artwork to be charted for stitching. I mean, come on...how can anyone not like this?

I did find a neat wallpaper that might work:

And I've always thought this would make a good stitch:

Or even this one:
(photos courtesy of Google Images)

Anyone up on copyright issues? How does it work to make a chart from an imagine you find on the web when you don't know who the artist is? As long as I don't sell the pattern, would there be an issue? I'm really desperate to do a Once stitch that isn't simplified animated characters and since there is really nothing out there, I feel so screwed right now. Maybe I'll just keep searching Deviant Art for the perfect combination of all my favorite characters and ask the artist if I can chart their artwork. Now that Snow and Charming and Emma are gone from Once, I want the classic cast in my stitch. But then again, I do have an overabundance of both stash and WIPS, so maybe it's a silly dream anyway.

Comments

Linda said…
No harm in dreaming Keiley. I don't see a problem if you chart a picture to stitch for yourself.

Linda
I personally don't think there is any issue if you chart it to stitch for yourself but I don't know all the ins and outs but I for one won't tell on you :) I really like the one of Snow and Charming with Regina's eyes in the background! I hope you do that one :)
Tiffstitch said…
Those are all great choices. As far as I'm aware, art that is available on the internet can be charted for your personal use. I have a friend that charts if you have a good image you want to use. I can show you some of her charting, etc. if you need someone.
Tiff is partly right. But art on the internet is subject to exactly the same rules as art anywhere else.
You can run the picture through a program like Pic2Pat and make a chart for your personal use, as long as you don't sell the chart or finished artwork.
However you need a really high resolution version of the artwork to make it work. Which you can usually only get from the artist.
If Tiff's friend was going to chart a picture for you s/he could not accept anything in exchange. It's a lot of work for someone to do for free!
Carla and Pinky talked about it on Carla's FlossTube video recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZvsg7PqkKQ
I am really not sure how the copyright issue would work with items you find on Google images. I know that many of them link back to a website or person who uploaded them. Maybe you could use that information to try to obtain permission? I would absolutely love to see this stitched up because, you know, I am a huuuuggggeeee Once fan and Disney fan. I hope you can find a solution that comes with a positive outcome. I really, really, really would love to see these stitched up. --Andrea
demeter83 said…
I have contacted a couple of artists about getting artwork charted for personal, and with their agreement got it done, having explained that I will pay someone else to do the charting for me!
I have to admit that I'm a Rumbelle girl myself! But I'm also at least two series behind! I have a lot or Kordek's and am always hoping for more!
Heather said…
Ooo I love the black and white one but that'd be boring to stitch (for me).
kate n said…
Have you seen Marihun's 'Arrow' piece? its still in progress but I am amazed at how good the image looks and apparently its 720 x 720. I might ask her what she used to chart it or where she got it from, i do have a point here, lol! and that is that if you chart it well I think the last pic would be good :)
Margie said…
As long as it's for personal use and not for sale, you should be alright. You mentioned the pattern of the artwork showing Emma Swan and Regina being a cutout photo. But if you look at it, it's not a photo. It's a drawing that is done in color. I know the others are in just graphite or regular pencil to appear in black and white and they are amazing. I must admit, Hook is my favorite. But the one of Emma and Regina is also a drawing, just in color. ;-)

Great blog you have, by the way! :-) Happy Stitching.